Saturday, April 11, 2009

Burlesque!


This week Kevin and I went to see Big Apple Burlesque's long running noir-musical Last Call At The Starliner Lounge. They perform every Wednesday at this very cool, intimate space - Corio's Supper Club in Chinatown. This isn't a variety show, but a fan campy musical with a loosely constructed plot surrounding the murder of, who else, but a beautiful show girl. The music is top notch, they have a great jazz band.

The group has been performing burlesque in the city for five years and this show is their latest creation.

Broadway Brassy (Cara) is the show's star and I've known her since I was 15. We were both in a community theater production of Bye, Bye Birdie in 1997 in Salisbury, Maryland. I still remember that she had one of my favorite lines, "Let's have an orgy!"

I took the above picture on my iPhone during Curtain Call. That's Cara on the right!

No comments:

Post a Comment