Sunday, April 12, 2009

Atomic Theater

On Thursday I saw Trinity 5:29 at The Axis Theater on Sheridan Square. The play surrounds the creation of the first atomic bomb, oddly told as a "medieval cycle play."

That turns J. Robert Oppenheimer into an Adam character. The weird setup keeps the audience from ever really becoming involved in the story. The performances aren't any help either. Luckily, the show is under an hour and I can't complain about that.

It was my first time at the Axis and it's a beautiful space, one of the nicer Off-Off-Broadway venues that I've been to. My friend Adam said it looked like a theater designed for the X-Men with all the stainless steal. While I didn't like the play, Trinity had top notch production values; great lighting, set, and costumes. Great place to see a show, just not this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment