Sunday, April 5, 2009

Being 27.

I turned 27 today. I've been dreading it since I read this article a few weeks ago,'Old age begins at 27: Scientists reveal new research into ageing.' Apparently, "our mental abilities begin to decline from the age of 27 after reaching a peak at 22." Looks like it's pretty much all downhill from here. This morning, I expected to wake up and get lost in my apartment but so far I seem okay.

London's Telegraph says that "Twenty-seven has long had negative connotations," because it is the "age at which many popular musicians died, including Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain." Feeling lucky I don't have any musical ability.

Good things have happened to 27 year olds too, Kurt Vonnegut quit his job at GE to become a full-time writer and Henry David Thoreau went to live in a cabin on Walden Pond. Maybe I'll try something like that.

2 comments:

  1. You'd better change that note under "About Ryan" since it states you're only 26...

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait till you turn my age this month: 43---& you'd get to see A LOT OF THINGS BETTER....but why wait, anyway? just go do your thing...enjoy life at 27!

    ReplyDelete